






















Memorial Weekend 2010 was very different for us than the years past. Alana took her first year of dance and the recital landed on Memorial Weekend. We were not a huge fan of that since we are used to being with our families for the long weekend, but it worked out fine, just more driving than usual, but all had fun. We all loved watching Alana dance in the recital. I think she enjoys the weekly practice more than she did all the rehearsals/recital, etc.
Friday night of Memorial Weekend was the Dress Rehearsal at Steven's Auditorium in Ames. There is no where big enough to hold all the people in Ankeny, so the recital is in Ames. Alana had already had pictures and one dress rehearsal so by this dress rehearsal it was the 3rd time for her to have her hair/makeup/costumes, etc on. We had to be up there for her first dance at 4:15. We got there and she didn't go on stage until 4:45 and then we had to wait until 8:00 for her 2nd dance. I really feel like they need to figure out something better for the little ones. Seems like so much waiting and really they didn't get any feedback when they danced. The older ones did get feedback and I understand why rehearsal is important but seemed like such a long night for little ones...We wasted some time by going to Hickory Park for supper and then ran to Boone to take something to one of Steve's customers. Then we headed back to Ames and went to Walmart and then they dropped Alana and I off at 7:15 and Steve and Brynn went to fill the car up with gas. We walked in and I was informed they were running over an hour behind. Grrrrr! Steve was less than happy when he heard this so we just sat in the auditorium watching the other dancers... Finally around 9, Alana and I were going to go downstairs to meet up with her class when all of the sudden I see her class on the side of the stage getting ready to go on next! We ran up there and they said they were pushing her group up so they could go home (Thank God!) so she jumped in line and they took the stage. We left at 9:15 and headed to Humboldt. The girls did so good on the drive and were so happy to see Gramma and Grampa!
Saturday we spent the first half of the day with Mom and Dad. The girls had a great time and then we headed out to Rutland later in the afternoon. They were very excited to see their cousins Sydney and Swea. We sat out on the deck most of the day while the kids played. After putting (or trying to put) the kids to bed Steve, Rudy, Wendy, and I headed up to Algona. Wendy and I were going to drop the guys off at the bar and we were gonna hit the 9:50 pm movie...(Sex & the City 2) As we were dropping the guys off we got hit by a car...to make matters worse we were driving Ted and Joan's car...grrrrrr... Thank God no one got hurt and back to Rutland we went...So much for a night out.
Sunday we spent the first half in Rutland and then headed to Humboldt around 1pm. Brynn took a nap and then I got Alana ready for her recital. We took off for Ames around 4:30. We rode with Mom and Dad because we had decided to come back after the recital and spend a few more days in Humboldt. The recital started at 7pm and her first dance was the 3rd song. It was so cute. Her second dance unfortunately wasn't until Act 2 and it was the 9th song, which ended up being around 9:15pm. She did really good in that one too. We could not take pictures or video the night of the recital, so these pictures and videos are from rehearsal and I think recital they did much better! They professionally video taped it so I am sure we will purchase a DVD of it so we have the actual recital.
We headed back to Humboldt after the recital and it was a pretty night feeling of being done with Dance for the year. I am guessing she will want to go out again this fall, but only time will tell.
Monday was a beautiful Memorial Day. Dad and I took the girls down to the park for awhile and the rest of the day we relaxed, grilled, and just enjoyed the day! Steve headed back to Ankeny late afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment