Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mexico!!!

On the bus heading to the resort
Steve, Liza, Kate, & Dave

Steve

Kate, Dave, & Steve




Superbowl Sunday!



For many months we talked about going on vacation with Steve's brother Dave and sister-in-law Kate. As it got closer I pretty much backed out. When Alana was 9 months old we went to San Diego for Steve's work convention, but that has been the only time we have gone on vacation since the girls were born. We actually hadn't even been away for a night since Brynn has been born. Dave and Kate went ahead and booked a vacation to Riviera Maya down by Cancun. A week before Christmas I was telling my mom about their trip and Mom asked if they had asked us to go. I told her yes, but I had backed out due to leaving the girls and not wanting to ask her to watch the girls for that many days... She said "you guys should go, it would be good for you and I would love to watch the girls!" Well this totally made me excited and without telling Steve I went to the travel agent the following morning and told him we want the exact same vacation! In no time at all our vacation was booked. I did this fast so I had no time to change my mind and mom couldn't back out from babysitting haha. Steve was shocked when I told him we were going to Mexico, but he was very excited! I think I got the best reaction from Kate though when I told her over the phone. I wanted to tell her in person, but when she called I couldn't help but blurt it out. I think her words might have been "I think I might need to pull over because I am so excited I might wet my pants!" haha...
Well after 4 days of all having the flu, January 29 came and we woke up at 4am feeling great. Whew what a relief!!! Mom and Dad were here and the girls were both feeling better and things were going good! Brynn was not 100%, but each day she was getting better and better. I can say that I used to really enjoy flying, but now with two kids I just felt so much more nervous. Once we touched down in Cancun I felt so relieved and was ready for some fun in the sun!!!
We walked out into beautiful sunny weather and of course a bar. We thought hey we better get some drinks for the bus ride to the resort! Steve and Dave headed to get the drinks while Kate and I stayed with the luggage. They returned with a 6 pack of beer and off to the bus we went. I simply asked "so how much was the beer?" Steve said "you don't even want to know"... He did continue to tell us that they paid 33 dollars for the 6 beers haha. On a sidenote...they went back and bought another 33 dollar 6 pack before we finally took off... but our motto was "we are on vacation!"
The bus did stop at a liquor store on the way to the resort and they bought a ton of Coronas and started selling them. The busride was a great time and we arrived at the resort and checked in. Before heading to our room we thought we better grab a margarita for the walk to the room. :)
We spent everyday laying out by the pool from 9 something in the morning to around 4 in the afternoon. It was so fun and relaxing. We tried many yummy drinks and had perfect weather everyday. Steve and I played cards on our patio every afternoon after laying out all day. Our evenings consisted of going to dinner and then usually ended up at our favorite bar. One night we did go watch some karoke. If it would have gone a little later into the night we may have gotten up on stage...(even if you think we wouldn't have dave! haha) We were there over Superbowl Sunday, so got to watch the game on huge movie theater size screen in an outdoor theater. The game was in English, but the commercials were in Spanish. They weren't even the normal Superbowl commercials, but it was still fun watching the game outside.
The last night we were there we went downtown in Playa Del Carmen for a little shopping. It poured rain on us, so that kind of was annoying, but we still had a good time.
Our flights home went great, but it was a shock to the system to come home to single digit temps. Overall our vacation was wonderful. I called home everyday and talked to Mom and she kept saying how great the girls were doing, so this made me relax more and even enjoy my time more. I even went the whole time without even talking to the girls. They were doing so great, I didn't want to mess anything up by talking to them and making them miss us. I missed the girls, but it was a well needed and well deserved vacation!!!




No comments: